Monday, August 15

Crazy Kids, 21st Birthdays, and Fiona Xie.

I can't believe it! We actually won the team prize for the MIW SAFRA Challenge! I can now get this season's Liverpool jersey with the 1000 bucks worth of Reebok vouchers! Well, 20 jerseys actually. Ha. Aww man and that extra cash is gonna be so handy. Thanks Danny for signing us up! I guess it pays to check miw.com.sg after all. Daniel! Respect for staying on that 7 by 7 inch platform for 6 hours! Yikes!

These past 5 days have truly been eventful and very memorable in more ways than one. Again, through the people that have been in my life, I'm constantly reminded how God has truly blessed me. Never will I take it for granted.

Long post ahead. You have been warned. =)

Stranded With Adorable Monkeys- Zhenghua Pri Sch Camp

And so the intense 5 days started with the Primary 5 camp for Zhenghua Primary School on Wednesday. After the SMU OCS briefing at the city campus, we made our way down to Ubin to make preparations. It was held at the new NPCC campsite, and the kids were due to arrive on Thursday morning.

I was feeling REALLY sian about it, because the atmosphere was just so different from the other camps I've helped out at for BB and GB. You know, at BB/GB, the people there sincerely want to help and make a difference in the lives of the kids. In my opinion, it seemed that most of us were there just for the 80 hours community service that SMU requires us to do. What makes it worse is that the organising committee didn't seem to show itself as very organised, and they really seemed to exude this 'let's get this over with' attitude. I hope I was wrong.

When the kids came, it sorta took my mind off my annoyance with the organising committee. I thank God Eric was with me in taking care of the group, Suzi too. Eric, you the bomb la, what would I have done without you. Seng Kok was SOOO funny when we taught them the 'Tiew Tiew Tiew' game! Monkeys! Playing games, field cooking, taking them to Chek Jawa. It was all good. My experience at BGB definately helped here. Thank God.

Garang Guni Boys

So I got back from Ubin on Friday night at about 730pm, totally exhausted by the endless bounds of energy that the kids have. As soon as I rushed back, took the car out to ARPC for 8pm service. Supper with the PUNJers at Al-Azhar, retire at 2am.

No parade at Nanyang this Saturday, so April and I were more than happy to pay the kids at Siling a visit. They were doing their own community service project by collecting old newspapers/clothes from the neighbouring HDB blocks in Woodlands.

I miss the kids so much. Damn funny when they saluted Apes and I as we strolled through the school gate. I only realised later, they did so to point out that I was late. Ha!

As we were going from flat to flat, one of the boys started asking me why there were so many denominations in the Protestant Church today. I was so excited that he was showing interest, and told him a brief history of the church. Encouraged him to keep asking questions and probe further. It's good to see that BB genuinely generates interest in the boys.

PUNJ in the afternoon, continuation on our studies on Genesis. We did the importance of 'Work and Rest', and although I was really mentally drained by the end of it, quite glad I went for it. Very insightful. Shall share more of it on a later date.

Happy Birthday Yan Hui/Justin!

Yan Hui's BBQ Birthday celebration at Hangout Hotel. Great location I must say! Right on top of Mt. Emily, near SMU. And it has this amazing view of the city and the skyline. The company was great. I really miss the good ol'NJ days with the 01S06ers.

Was great to see Daph, Huiyin, Jacque, Edwin, Kailuo, Edwin, Yihan, Yuan Kai, Minghui, Kelly and the rest again! I'm quite honoured to be in 3 of Yan Hui's group photos. 1 with 01S06, 1 with the band people, and 1 with our SMU OG. Ha! I'm in 3 aspects of Yan Hui's life!

Feel quite bad talking more with the 01S06ers rather than the OG, but I figured I'm gonna be seeing a lot more of the Pyromaniacs when school starts, while it's so rare that the class meets up, esp. with everyone studying overseas.

KTV ON FRIDAY OK 01S06?

MIW SAFRA Challenge


It was held at Ngee Ann City's civic plaza. So there're 4 events.

1. Flag Master- Get as many flags off a Ssangyong Rexton in 1 minute, while on the roof.
2. Cliff Hanger- Cling onto a rock wall for the longest possible time
3. Endurance stations- Do Bench presses, cycling, treadmill, chin ups in a allocated time. Most reps/ longest distance wins
4. Hot Spot- Stand on a 7 by 7 inch platform. Last man remaining wins.


Elliot did the flag master, Danny did the stations, Daniel did Hot Spot and I was left hanging like a gorilla on the rock wall.

While we weren't the best in each of our events, our combined score made us the winners of the team category! $$$ Ka-ching!

Daniel had it the toughest I felt, standing on the platform for 6 whole hours. Insane. It was so encouraging to see the church people coming down to support Dan as he stood and braved the rain and sun. I think he was the only one who had any supporters!

I actually went home early when Daniel dropped, cos'I had to rush off to Jem and Jerald's party at Changi. Then while on the bus, I got a call from Elliot saying that we had won and that we would be collecting the prize from Fiona Xie (Don't ask me why)! By the time I drove down back to Ngee Ann City, Danny and Daniel had already collected it, with Ah Loong posing as me, and Yew Minh posing as Elliot. Heh!

J&J's Birthday/Farewell Party


It was just great meeting up with everyone. I've said this before and I'll say it again, it's weird how everyone's somehow connected to each other. Twohill (my OCS buddy) was actually Zhihao's (my BMT buddy) primary school classmate. Ha! Was great seeing you Kezheng, back from Suzhou and all.

Jem, Jerald, not much time spent talking with you guys since you guys WERE the center of attention tonight, so we're meeting up again before you guys leave for Michigan yeah?

Right now, I think I need the week off to recuperate. Wake me up on Saturday.