Tuesday, May 2

D.C. To Sandusky

It’s been an interesting 4 days checking out the capitol of the States. Checking out all the free (the word all Singaporeans can identify with) museums, and monuments. The National Mall, Washington Monument, Lincoln and Jefferson Memorial, Capitol Hill, The White House. You always see these places in movies and TV shows, so it’s pretty cool to actually see it up close and in person.

One of the things I love about traveling is just having conversations with people that I would never have been able to meet if I was in Singapore. Pabló the Italian backpacker; Eric the Malaysian banker; C from Maine, he’s gay and was disowned by his family since he was 14. It was quite funny when I introduced myself to him. I said “Hi, I’m Gabe”, and he looked quite amused. I was wondering what was with the look he gave me until Nick pointed out that “Hi, I’m Gabe” sounded a lot like “Hi, I’m gay”. Gulp.

We’ve reached Sandusky, Ohio on Saturday night. Spent Sunday settling all the administrative details: housing, uniforms, opening a bank account, etc. Had a look around the theme park. It is MASSIVE, and so are the rides. 0-120miles per hour in 6 seconds, 15 storey drops for the roller coasters, these rides can make grown men cry.

A bit frustrated with the internet connection though. Wireless comes on and off, so if you don’t see regular updates, you know why.

This is home for 3 months. Hasn’t really sunk in yet.