Monday, December 5

Even Wise Men Seek Jesus

One man had that written on his back, as he ran the marathon barechested. Two guys wore bras, in raising awareness for the Breast Cancer Foundation. Triathlon Family members had helium filled balloons attached to their backs, indicating the timing they were running at, just so people could keep pace with them. It was such a wide mix of people. The papers say about 6000 people ran the marathon this year.

I'm really glad I had Wen Zheng, Jason and Dzarrin to run with. I can't imagine going through the whole 42km with no one to talk to. How boring would that be?! We split up towards the end, at around the 30km mark at East Coast Park. I was cramping up like mad. Without a doubt, the last 10km was seriously the most excruciating 10km I've ever run in my life. Walk, run, cramp, walk, run, cramp. Oof.

If I could sum up my emotions for this whole marathon, I'd say it was a humbling experience for me. I know my goal was just to finish, and take the whole run at my own pace, but my male ego started getting really annoyed, especially when this petite lady don totally in pink, and wearing a daisy duck sunvisor, kept over taking me! Argh! No offense ladies, it's just a guy thing.

It really wasn't about how fit you were or looked. I saw many buffed guys lying on the roadside cringing in pain from the muscle cramps, all this while elderly men and woman, no less than 50 years old, steadily ran on. Slow and steady indeed.

It was really great to see so many familiar faces along the way. Evan, Nazri, Eugene (Neo), Mr Menon!

In the end, it took me 5 hours and 15 minutes to complete the marathon. It would have been nice to have completed it under 5 hours, but I was just happy to cross the finish line (Free shirt at the end see.)

Sub-5, Next year maybe. =)