Tuesday, May 16

The Day A Monkey Almost Got Me Fired

This happened last Thursday. I was at a game called “GUNBALL”, where players had to shoot a foam ball at 3 plastic cups. The prize for knocking down all the cups was a giant gorilla doll.

This kid came up to play. What started out as a simple “OK I’ll give it a go”, turned into a “I’m not leaving until I win the monkey!”. He must have spent close to 40US dollars, when I started feeling sorry for him. So I started making it easier for him, by putting the cups nearer the edge. He finally won the prize after playing for the umpteenth time.

An hour later, I was called into the manager’s office, and asked if I had assisted any of the guests in winning a prize. I told them that I did. They must have seen me on the stall’s cameras. I was told that it was equivalent to employee theft for assisting guests to win prizes, and that my actions should warrant an immediate termination of contract!

In the end, they decided to give me a final warning, and make me reimburse the park for the cost of the damn ape, and another one which I helped another guest win. It came to be about 60 US bucks.

Well. It could have been a lot worse. Thank God they didn’t deport me. If a little girl came up to me now and begged for a prize, I think I would be quite indifferent.

Stupid kid.