Saturday, April 22

From 10000m Above The Atlantic

Technology rocks. They now have wireless on SQ! This post is coming to you from 10000m above the Atlantic Ocean. I just had a 12 hour flight from Singapore to Frankfurt, Germany. Now on the second leg, Frankfurt to New York, takes about 8 hours. Already 3 hours into the flight. Time’s passing by quite quickly surprisingly. Watching movies and sleeping a bit to kill time. The Producers is hilarious. Think it’s opening in Singapore soon.

While I’m really excited about what the next few weeks hold, I left Singapore in a somewhat somber mood. I visited my granduncle in hospital the afternoon before leaving. He’s in the final stage of lung cancer. Went with my parents and my grandma, whom he’s very close to. While I’m not close to granduncle, since I only see him on the occasional family gatherings, to see anyone in such a state just overwhelms you. He was mentally alert, completely aware of his surroundings, but his body was failing him. By his bedside, someone had stuck a copy of the sinner’s prayer. “Gu-gong” believes in Jesus, thankfully.

I couldn’t help putting myself into his shoes, thinking what was going through his mind. He was trying hard to communicate, yet his body wouldn’t let him, with his lung full of fluids and the constant need for the oxygen mask impairing his speech. I would feel so helpless and frustrated, wanting to tell my family and friends that I love them, but not being able to. It then dawned on me that such a scenario was actually possible when I grow old. Scary, yet real.

I don’t know if I’ll see “Gu-gong” again, since i'll only be back in august, but it is comforting to know that all who believe in Jesus and repent will find eternal rest.

Will be touring New York for the next 3 days, before leaving on a bus from Chinatown to Washington D.C. on Tuesday morning. Catch you guys soon. Miss you all.