Saturday, April 1

Practicality Vs. Passion

It's something I've struggled with throughout my life. Do you do what you're passionate about, even though it'll probably not reap much returns, or do you do what's practical for you, because you know it'll reap more returns, even if you know you won't enjoy it that much?

I guess if you asked me what degree I really wanted to pursue, I would have gone for Comm Studies at NTU. Journalism and media studies was an exciting prospect then. I don't regret doing accounting @ smu though, the people and the opporutnites that it has presented me have been amazing. But now, as I look at some of the accounting core modules I have to take within the next few years, it makes me cringe.

Issues like when I'm going to go for exchange, or what second major I intend to take are surfacing. Some of my friends want to finish the course in 3 and a half years, while I'm perfectly fine with finishing it in the recommended 4. I'm also seriously considering doing a second major in Corporate Communications, although it's quite unheard of for an Accounting undergrad to take such a combination. Most do a second major in Finance or Law. Again it's a question of practicality. A finance of law double major would be a lot more in demand than a corp comms one, although i know i will definately enjoy corp comms modules more.

It's funny how I keep questioning why I'm studying in smu whenever the exams draw near.