Saturday, February 9

Count It Joy

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing"-James 1:2-4

It's so easy to go into self-pity mode when things aren't going your way. You know, the whole 'woe-is-me-life-sucks-everybody-has-to-mourn-with-me' kind of feeling. Regretfully, I have unintentionally taken my frustration out on innocent parties. For that, I am truly sorry.

This Chinese New Year has been pretty depressing with what's been going on of late. I won't elaborate, but it has been amplified by the fact that it's supposed to be a joyous occasion with families meeting up and exchanging pleasantries. I'm just glad I don't have to do too many visitations.

When ever I fail or face tough times, I thank God that His Word is there to be my comfort and strength. Strangely, when things get tough, a part of me is thankful because I am reminded how God has been good all this time, and how I always take his goodness for granted when things are smooth sailing.

People change and will fail you, but God is forever unchanging and has shown love for us when we don't deserve it. Sending His Son to die for us on the cross was the ultimate act of His love. What right do I have to harbor vengeful thoughts when Jesus, who did no wrong could say 'Father, forgive them', as He was mocked and crucified by the very people whom He had come to save?

Count it joy, count it joy.