Thursday, December 2

Please The One That Matters

I don’t know why, but I get very bothered when people get a bad impression of me. I really don’t know how some people can just shrug it off and not care less about what you think of them. For some reason, I just can’t.

Usually I’ll do my best to change that person’s perception, if they see me in some negative light. Like there was this guy back in ACS that treated me quite coldly for no apparent reason. Maybe he just thought I look quite "sia lan". Ha. Anyway, it really bugged me man, and I did make an effort to be nice to the guy. In the end, his attitude towards me changed and we became relatively good friends.

But you know, as much as we try to go out of our way to please someone, as humans, we always forget and take it for granted. My Mom always makes me a nice breakfast before work, and sometimes in my haste I’ll say "I’m not hungry mom" and walk out the door. Occasionally my Dad will wake up damn early in the morning just so I can get to work on time. Sometimes I’ll complain about how stupid it is to start work at 730am, with no regard whatsoever for my Dad, who doesn’t even have to be up that early. There are a lot of other examples I can find. Sorry Mom, Dad. I really have to be more tactful in future.

It’s frustrating when you go out of your way for people, only to be unappreciated in the end. I’m sure we’ve all had that feeling. While I’m not discouraging us from going out of our way to help others, I’m saying that there’s someone that never forgets when you’ve tried to please Him. And that’s our Heavenly Father. Not that he needs us to please him, but he remembers everything we do, and is pleased when we are righteous.

So when you get into a situation where you have to choose between pleasing your friends and pleasing God, don’t forget that God remembers everything, friends probably won’t. It’s something I struggle with sometimes, and I’m still trying to be pleasing in God’s eyes, but I just fail miserably. You really can’t please everyone, so please The One who matters most.