Monday, March 12

Sincerity

Sometimes I really wish I could do a Dr. Manhatten and split myself up, and be at various places at the same time. There's just so much to do, and so many people to meet up with.

I've had a few conversations with friends, about how we don't see so-and-so around anymore. Sometimes, friends are forgiving, saying that we should be more understanding, that so-and-so is really busy with more important things, and therefore can't meet up with us anymore. Sometimes, friends are not so forgiving, saying that so-and-so is not a sincere friend, since he/she doesn't make the effort to meet up anymore.

And then the thought hits me- Do people talk about me like that when I'm not around? I wouldn't dare presume that I would be the topic of any conversation. That's not the point. The reason why I think about this is because over the past few years (or months even), I've hung out with different group of friends, due to different circumstances. As a result, good friends I used to hang out with a lot, have become marginalized in my schedule.

I've realized that certain friends that used to ask me out for their events or activities have stopped asking me altogether. Quite sure it's because I have given them one to many 'No-I-cannot-make-it's. I don't blame them. In fact, I'd probably do the same if I were them. What I really hope they don't do, is doubt my sincerity in wanting to know them as real people.

I guess, as we grow older, it becomes inevitable that we have to become more selective in the friends we hang out and keep in touch with. Everybody has their own path in life, and I say it's impossible to keep in touch with everybody eventually. Some friends you can not meet for years on end, and still pick up where you left off as if you were never apart. Some friends require you to spend more time with them to continue the friendship, a rule that is usually left unsaid, but is understood mutually by both parties. Our creative God has created us so differently, with different emotional and physical needs.

So dear friend, if I haven't met up with you in ages, and have turned you down many times to meet up, forgive me. It doesn't mean that I don't treasure you as a friend anymore. Since you're here at my blog, you know how to contact me. =)